The Charter ([PDF 55KB]) sets out founding member countries and observer members of PILON.
Member countries of PILON are Australia, the Cook Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Kiribati, Nauru, New Zealand, Niue, Palau, Papua New Guinea, the Pitcairn Islands, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu and Vanuatu.
The Pitcairn Islands was welcomed as a PILON member country in 2011 following Members' consideration of an application for membership at the 30th Annual Meeting. At the 2013 Annual Meeting, PILON welcomed the Asia/Pacific Group on Money Laundering (APG-ML) as an Observer member following consideration of it's application for membership. Recently, following the 2014 Annual Meeting, PILON welcomed the South Pacific Lawyers' Association (SPLA) and the International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) as Observer members following consideration of both applications for membership.
A number of regional and international organisations have official observer membership. These are:
- the Pacific Islands Forum Secretariat (site)
- the Secretariat of the Pacific Community (site)
- the Secretariat of the Pacific Regional Environment Programme (site)
- the Pacific Islands Forum Fisheries Agency (site)
- the International Committee of the Red Cross (site)
- the Pacific Legal Information Institute (site)
- the University of the South Pacific (site)
- the Commonwealth Secretariat (site)
- the Pacific International Maritime Law Association (site)
- Pacific Islands Chief of Police (site)
- Oceania Customs Organization (site)
- the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (site)
- the Asia/Pacific Group for Money Laundering (site)
- the South Pacific Lawyers' Association (site)
- the International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (site)
Guidelines for observer status and participation were endorsed at a PILON meeting under PILON's Rules of Procedure ([PDF 52KB]).
Application for PILON Membership
A form for future membership applications was endorsed at the 30th PILON Meeting.
Parties seeking to become either a Member Country or Observer Member of PILON are requested to complete the below application form and return it to the PILON Secretariat. Applications for membership will be considered by PILON Members.
The Application for Membership form is available here: [PDF]